Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 18 - Polishing

"A gem can not be polished without friction, nor a man without trials" - Chinese proverb

I used to fly competitive aerobatics in a Pitts Special, a tiny biplane with a big motor.  After every flight, I would grab a rag and a bottle of spray polish and clean the airplane.  One of the airport mechanics would consistently tease me "you are going to polish the paint off the machine."  I would poke back with a comment about being "vain."  My airplane was always clean and most of the time spotlessly so.

Pitts Specials generally have beautiful finishes.  Until recently, they were painted with a product known as butyrate dope, relatively ancient technology that with lots of preparation and effort, will produce a deep, glossy finish.  It takes twenty or thirty coats of paint, with careful sanding in between each coat, to obtain the desired effect.  The result is spectacular.

I love the look of a well-polished Pitts.  A part of my motivation for polishing was aesthetic.  My main motivation, though, was that a careful polish required that I touch every part of the airplane.  I would start methodically from the right side of the engine and proceed around the entire machine.  By the time I was finished, I would have found and replaced a few missing screws.  Sometimes, I noticed and fixed other problems as well.  When I then placed the airplane back in its hangar, I knew that every part on the exterior of the machine, from paint to tires, was as it is should be.  My next flight would be a little safer as a result of these efforts and the airplane looked beautiful to boot!

I still prefer flying a polished Pitts.

No comments:

Post a Comment