Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 16 - Flexibility

Yesterday, I awoke as usual, around 5:15 am.  Usually, I am free at that hour to feed the dog, eat breakfast and write.  Yesterday, though, my wife got up early with me because she is the chairman of an annual event at our children's school and needed to be at school by 6:30 to ensure that the program ran as planned.  We enjoyed breakfast and a lovely conversation together and by the time she left at 6:10, my daughter had come downstairs as well.  So much for writing.

The day had been planned and was to be a crazy one.  My daughter attends music school on the weekends in NYC and being 11, needs a ride and a chaperone every Saturday.  My wife and I tend to alternate weekends.  At first, we thought the trip would be a chore, but it has turned into a coveted Saturday activity because our daughter is great company for the two plus hour roundtrip and the adult gets a six hour block of unconnected time to read, write or contemplate one's navel, a rare period of stillness in an otherwise hectic life.

With my wife busy with the kids' school event, I was the designated chaperone yesterday.  Problem was, I am also on the Board of Directors (and Treasurer) of a not-for-profit and we had our annual meeting yesterday as well.  My wife and I exhausted our list of babysitters and friends and finally decided that I would drop my daughter off in Manhattan early, return to my Board meeting and then return to Manhattan to pick her up by 4.  The timing was tight, there was lots of driving and the potential for horrible holiday traffic, but this was the best of the available options.

We had discussed the plan briefly with my daughter the night before and she was apprehensive about being left in NYC by herself, even within the safe confines of her school.  When she awoke yesterday morning, she was upset by the prospect and asking to skip school.  What to do?  I had responsibilities to my family and to an organization that relies on me for guidance.  Given my daughter's age and distress, it became quickly apparent what needed to be done. 

My daughter and I got ready for school, dropped my slightly later sleeping son off with my wife around 8 am and headed to Manhattan.  Our Board president was fantastic and I was able to participate in the meeting via phone.  My daughter and I had a great visit into NYC and I was able to help her review music theory for a midterm.  Technology worked and I was able to participate and contribute well to the Board meeting.  I supported my wife, via texts, as she pulled off a very successful fundraising event for the school.  My son had a great day too with just a scrape on his chin as evidence of a slightly unsupervised, appropriately rambunctious day with his best buddies.

My family went to bed last night exhausted but happy.  Each of us had a very productive day with only a modicum of stress.  At 6:45 am, it was hard to conceive of such a wonderful outcome.  I am always amazed that when I choose to do the right thing in the face of chaos, I usually find a paved path.

No comments:

Post a Comment